Find the best surgeons — Checkbook has identified as having better-than-average outcomes based on analysis of more than four million surgeries done for hospital inpatients by more than 50,000 surgeons.
We report on 12 groupings of types of surgery. On our search page, select the type you are interested in and see the surgeons who look good according to our measures. We apologize if we have not reported on a type of surgery that interests you; we intend to continuously expand the list. The types reported on so far are major surgeries usually performed in-hospital.
It remains very difficult to obtain access to sufficient data to perform meaningful analysis of outpatient surgery performance. We'll keep pushing the government to make such data more accessible and hope you too will speak up.
The 12 surgical groupings include:
- Angioplasty or Pacemaker Surgery
- Aortic or Lower Extremity Vascular Surgery
- Carotid Endarterectomy or Angioplasty
- Femur Fracture Repair
- Gallbladder Removal Surgery
- Gastric/Bariatric (Obesity) Surgery
- Heart Valve or Heart Bypass Surgery
- Hip or Knee Replacement Surgery
- Lung Surgery
- Major Bowel Surgery
- Prostatectomy/ Cystectomy/ Nephrectomy
- Spinal Cord Exploration and Spine Fusion Surgery