fundraising calendar

Help us reach our annual fundraising goal!

Consumers' Checkbook is the only nonprofit providing in-depth service reviews and price research. We take no advertising or referral fees from businesses. Help us continue to serve your community.

Donate by December 31 to support unbiased independent service reviews.

Chrystal Construction Services

820 18th St S
Arlington, VA 22202703-271-1121



Consumer Comments for Chrystal Construction Services

Register here and see full info on Chrystal Construction Services, FREE.
Consumer from WASHINGTON, DC
Jan 30, 2013
Not Recommended
This contractor used toxic chemicals irresponsibly, placing the health of my family at risk. This contractor was renovating the townhouse next door with which we share a common wall. It was winter and the temperature was ranging between 20-32 degrees outside. The contractor applied a floor finisher and kept all windows closed. The vapors from the finisher engulfed our home with an intense acrid smell. Not once, but twice. The first time it took us three days to try and air out our home in the freezing temperatures and until we were able to use the living room. The upstairs remained off limits. After the second coat, and a further engulfing of our home with fumes, I contacted the owner and inquired what product they were using, if the vapors were harmful, and I insisted that he ventilate the house. I knew the vapors had to be harmful because my eyes were burning and a family friend who came by on the day the second coat was applied became nauseous. Our family had to live in the basement and on the enclosed porch for days to avoid the fumes while we tried to ventilate. The owner of the house reported back that the product being used was Minwax and the vapors were not toxic. The next day, I checked myself. The workers were back to lay yet a third coat. I asked the workers what product they were using. Thankfully, they showed me. It is called Glitsa 500 which according to some sources is the most toxic floor finisher available. According to the manufacturer’s own Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), the product contains the toxic chemicals Trimethyl Benzene (mixed isomers) and 1,2,4 Trimethyl Benzene which are known to cause damage to the brain or nervous system and are carcinogenic with long term exposure. The MSDS also gives the following facts and precautions about the product (exclamation marks and caps are those of the manufacturer): •   For industrial use only! •   Avoid vapor build up. •   Vapors irritate nose, throat and lungs. May cause eye irritation, headache, dizziness, nausea, weakness, shortness of breath and loss of coordination. Exposure to high vapor concentration may cause unconsciousness and asphyxiation. •   Ensure fresh air entry during and after application…., wear an appropriate, properly fitted respirator during and after application. •   USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION. Provide mechanical ventilation, local exhaust or other appropriate means to prevent vapor build up. •   If odor is strong, ventilate area, evacuate all unnecessary personnel and wear full protective equipment. Further information available from the manufacturer clearly states that the vapors can seep through walls. It provides detailed instructions on how to ventilate. In the case of use in apartments or townhouses, the manufacturer advises that the entire structure be ventilated. Due to the toxicity of this product, it is only sold to contractors who, I suppose, are presumed to follow appropriate procedures. Not only did the contractor not follow appropriate procedures for the application of this product, it was dishonest in providing information about the product, placing the health of my family at severe risk. The BBB also cites this company with false advertising. The BBB notes: “On March 20,2012 the Bureau wrote to this company concerning the company’s claim of BBB membership on the company’s website. To date, this company has not responded to the Bureau’s inquiry and has failed to remove their claim.”
Consumer from ALEXANDRIA, VA
Aug 03, 2010
Nate Hamman of CCS and his staff, especially Mike Boyd, did a FANTASTIC job on our house. They removed our outside deck, replaced the doors and windows on the back with Energy Star windows, and installed a slate patio. They were professional, responsive, on-time, affordable, and their work product was excellent. I recommend CCS without reservation.