Help us reach our annual fundraising goal!
Consumers' Checkbook is the only nonprofit providing in-depth service reviews and price research. We take no advertising or referral fees from businesses. Help us continue to serve your community.Donate by December 31 to support unbiased independent service reviews.
Contractors: Remodelers & General
You won't find anything else like Checkbook
- Nonprofit and independent
- Takes no advertising or referral fees
- Ratings and reviews by surveyed Consumers' Checkbook and Consumer Reports local subscribers
- Thousands of undercover price comparisons
- Complaint counts from local consumer agencies and attorney general offices
Contractors: Remodelers & General Articles
Start by carefully considering what you think you want. Then weigh your wish list against what you’ll probably pay to fulfill it. Identifying goals and thinking through available options will force some decisions—and also help you set a budget cap.
Though some homeowners leave the vetting and selection of contractors to their architects or house designers, most make the call themselves—and rightly so. Hiring a contractor who can successfully build what you’re planning, at a favorable price, is the most important step in any remodeling project.
Make a list of several companies that seem suitable for your project; then get in touch and schedule in-home consultations. Your objective is to compile a list of at least three companies, but preferably five or more, that will give you proposals and pricing.
- Light Remodeling: Redo Your Kitchen or Bath for Less
- Handyman Services
- Home Builders
- Heating & Air-Conditioning Contractors
- Window Installers
- Door Installers
- Garage Door Installers
- Fence Builders
- Furniture Stores
- Interior Designers
- Cabinet Suppliers & Installers
- Countertop Suppliers & Installers
- Flooring Suppliers & Installers
- Carpet Stores & Installers
- Rock & Cement Contractors