Ratings & Advice
The latest ratings and advice for Chicago area financial services.
- 30 Tricks Sellers Use to Make You Pay Up
- 65 Things You (Probably) Shouldn't Pay For
- About Checkbook: Why We're Unique
- Budgeting Websites
- Buy Now, Pay Later Spending Traps
- Buying Used Stuff
- Car Buying Strategies
- CarBargains - Checkbook's Shopping Service for New Cars
- Cashback Shopping Portals
- Complaining: How to Get Results
- Consumers' Notebook
- Credit Cards Provide Strong Protections for Consumers
- Credit Cards: Selecting the Best
- Credit Score Boost Offered by Experian Likely Not Useful
- Dealing with Your Digital Clutter
- Estate Planning Tasks & Tips
- Extended Product Warranties: Should You Buy Them?
- Financial Documents: Why to Keep a Paper Trail
- Free Perks You Didn't Know You Have
- Guide to Health Plans for Federal Employees & Annuitants
- Happy Returns and Gift Card Tips
- Home Warranties
- Homeowners Insurance
- Identity and Cyber Theft: How to Protect Yourself
- Identity Theft: Are Your Investment and Retirement Accounts Protected?
- LeaseWise - Checkbook's Shopping Service for Leasing New Cars
- Life Insurance
- Online Privacy: How to Guard Yours
- Parking: Finding the Best Rates
- Passwords: How to Choose Safe Ones
- Payment Apps: Avoiding Trouble and Scams
- Pet Insurance
- Phishing Scams: Is Your Financial Institution Helping Cyberthieves?
- Price Matching: What's the Deal?
- Prices: Where Have All the Bargains Gone?
- Sale Prices: At Many Stores, the Sale Price Isn't Special
- Savings Apps
- Shopping Online: Our Top Tips for Saving Money
- Stop Unwanted Calls, Mail, and More
- Timeshare Exit Companies Deserve a Time Out
- Travel Insurance
- Vehicle Service Contracts
- Water & Sewer Line Warranties
Ratings of area plumbers for quality and price.
65 Things You (Probably) Shouldn’t Pay For
Stop wasting money on services and products that might seem useful but are actually bad buys.
Should you try the gift of jab?
How to paint your house or hire someone to do it for you.
On a Roll
Wallpaper is back. Here's what to do if you want it.
How to Get the Best Price on a New Car
Websites like TrueCar promise low, upfront pricing. But these companies don't deliver. Here's how to force dealers to compete for your business.
Vehicle Service Contracts
Don't buy these plans. They are big hassles and bad deals for most drivers.
Managing Your Mess
How to find a great housecleaner.
Lawn & Order
How to hire a service (or hire yourself) to make your grass greener.
Guard Your Online Privacy
These tips from experts are easy and effective.
Life Insurance for Less
Shop around to save thousands of dollars.
How to Get Rid of Your Unwanted Stuff
Decluttering strategies plus ideas for how to jettison extra belongings, from books to electronics to sporting goods to toys.
Clothing Resale Options
Ready to sell your past fashions? Here’s how to get the most for your stuff, your time, and your effort.
This Whole House
Estate sales can help you offload a ton of stuff.
Find clear winners for quality and price.