How to Prepare for a Move
Last updated in April 2016
The American Moving & Storage Association recommends the following steps as preparation for moving day.
At Eight Weeks
- Obtain moving estimates and hire the company that best meets your needs.
At Six Weeks
- Meet with your mover and discuss all details, costs, insurance, packing, loading, delivery, and claims procedures.
At Four Weeks
- If the mover will be packing, arrange for it to be done one to two days before loading.
- If packing yourself, begin packing.
- Sort through and throw out, recycle, give away, donate, or sell belongings you don’t want or need.
- If necessary, arrange for storage.
At Three Weeks
- Arrange to have utilities, cable, Internet, and phones disconnected in your old house and hooked up in your new house.
- Make travel arrangements and hotel reservations for your trip.
- Apartment dwellers—reserve elevator for moving day.
- Obtain medical, dental, and veterinarian records.
At Two Weeks
- File a change-of-address notice with the Postal Service.
- Make special arrangements for transporting pets and plants.
- Notify sources of bills, and brokerage and bank accounts.
At One Week
- Arrange for a babysitter on moving day.
- Transfer prescriptions.
- Arrange for delivery services (newspapers, etc.) to be discontinued.
One to Two Days Before
- Have mover pack your goods.
- Defrost and dry refrigerators and freezers to be moved.
- Arrange for cash/traveler’s checks for trip and expenses and payment to mover.
- If traveling a long distance by car, check your tires, oil, wipers, etc.