Ratings & Advice
The latest ratings and advice for Twin Cities area healthcare providers.
- 65 Things You (Probably) Shouldn't Pay For
- About Checkbook: Why We're Unique
- Aging In Place
- Back Pain: How to Avoid It
- Complaining: How to Get Results
- Consumers' Notebook
- DNA Ancestry Services
- Doctor Board Certification: Is Yours Certified? Does It Matter?
- Elder Villages
- Emergencies: Many 911 Centers Now Accept Texts
- Guide to Health Plans for Federal Employees & Annuitants
- Healthcare Cost Transparency Issues
- Help at Home for Seniors
- Laser Eye Surgery
- Lead Exposure: Make Sure Your Contractor Follows the Law
- Medical Alert Devices
- Medical Research: Resources for Doing Your Own
- Medical Tests & Procedures: Efforts to Reduce Unnecessary Care
- Medicare Outpatient Loophole Puts Patients at Big Financial Risk
- Oral Surgeons
- Over-the-Counter Drug Prices
- Patient Advocates
- Surgeon Ratings
- Teeth-Whitening Options
- Travel: Health and Safety Info for International Trips
A Message from Our Founding President
After more than 45 wonderful years, I am retiring as president of Consumers’ Checkbook. I want to thank you for your support and for helping to create a marketplace that works for all.
Looking for a Top Doc?
Use our ratings to find the best primary care doctors, specialists, and surgeons.
Top Travel Booking Tips
60 strategies for finding the best deals and avoiding trouble.
Auto Body Shops
Accidents happen. Here’s how to get a bang-up repair job.
Auto Glass Repair and Replacement
How to deal with a distorted vehicular view.
Aging in Place
Tips on making your abode accessible, and resources for getting seniors help at home and beyond.
Doggone good boarding options for when Rover needs to sleep over.
Managing Your Mess
Can a personal organizer help you clean up your act?
Are ‘Certified’ Used Cars Worth Bigger Price Tags?
Dealers promise rigorously inspected rides and peace-of-mind warranties, but we found some consumers get rebuilt wrecks and even a former crash-test vehicle.
Getting help from a pro for planning where to go.
Window Treatment Stores
Made in the shade: Get a good deal and good advice on window treatments.
Buying Cabinets and Countertops
How to get the kitchen you crave for the least amount of hassle and money.
Solving the Mystery of Medical Costs
New laws should help consumers find out what they’ll pay, but many available tools are still works in progress.