Ratings & Advice
The latest ratings and advice for Twin Cities area home services.
- 30 Tricks Sellers Use to Make You Pay Up
- 65 Things You (Probably) Shouldn't Pay For
- About Checkbook: Why We're Unique
- Aging In Place
- Closet Organizers
- Complaining: How to Get Results
- Consumers' Notebook
- Credit Cards Provide Strong Protections for Consumers
- Decluttering Strategies
- Defective Products: Strategies to Get a Refund or Replacement
- Elder Villages
- Extended Product Warranties: Should You Buy Them?
- Getting Home Repairs During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Getting Rid of Your Unwanted Stuff
- Hazardous Household Waste Disposal
- Home Maintenance Plan
- Home Warranties
- Homeowners Insurance
- Lead Exposure: Make Sure Your Contractor Follows the Law
- Light Remodeling: Redo Your Kitchen or Bath for Less
- Nannies: Hiring Tips
- Product Recall Information
- Saving Energy at Home
- Self Storage Facilities
- Soundproofing Tips
- Wallpaper Help
- Water & Sewer Line Warranties
- Water-Saving Tips
A Message from Our Founding President
After more than 45 wonderful years, I am retiring as president of Consumers’ Checkbook. I want to thank you for your support and for helping to create a marketplace that works for all.
Dentists to Smile About
If you’re in the market for a new dentist, our ratings will help you find a top tooth doc.
Best Vet Bets
Ratings of area practices for quality and price to keep your furry friends’ tails wagging—and your finances from sagging.
Read Before Remodeling
How to hire and work with a contractor to score a hit home makeover.
Solar Energy Systems
Here’s a rundown of options, how to pay for your project, how to find an installer, and energy savings you can expect.
These ratings may shock you!
Made in the Shade
Use our ratings of local tree care services to find a great branch manager.
The Fight for Your Right to Repair
Manufacturers of vehicles, electronics, appliances, and more are making it tough for independent shops and DIYers to make repairs.
Help with Planning a Funeral
This article reviews the many choices you have when a loved one dies, plus ratings of funeral homes and advice on how to deal with one.
A Smart Guide to Estate Planning
Here are some basic dos and definite don’ts that will save you hassles and money—and avoid common mistakes.
Ready to rock? Here’s how to get a sparkling deal.
Driving the Best Tire Bargain
If it’s time to replace your treads, we’ve got the score on how to buy the best replacements at the lowest cost, including price comparisons of suppliers.