Ratings & Advice
The latest ratings and advice for Washington, DC area financial services.
- 30 Tricks Sellers Use to Make You Pay Up
- 50 Things You (Probably) Shouldn’t Pay For
- About Checkbook: Why We're Unique
- Budgeting Websites
- Buying Used Stuff
- Car Buying Strategies
- CarBargains - Checkbook's Shopping Service for New Cars
- Cashback Shopping Portals
- Complaining: How to Get Results
- Consumers' Notebook
- Credit Card Chargebacks: A Consumer Superweapon
- Credit Cards: Selecting the Best
- Credit Score Boost Offered by Experian Likely Not Useful
- Dealing with Your Digital Clutter
- Estate Planning Tasks & Tips
- Extended Product Warranties: Should You Buy Them?
- Extended Warranties for New Cars: Get the Best Deal
- Financial Documents: Why to Keep a Paper Trail
- Free Perks You Didn't Know You Have
- Happy Returns and Gift Card Tips
- Home Warranties
- Homeowners Insurance
- Identity Theft: Are Your Investment and Retirement Accounts Protected?
- Identity Theft: How to Monitor and Protect Your Credit
- Junk Mail & Unwanted Phone Calls
- LeaseWise - Checkbook's Shopping Service for Leasing New Cars
- Parking: Finding the Best Rates
- Passwords: How to Choose Safe Ones
- Payment Apps: Avoiding Trouble and Scams
- Pet Insurance
- Phishing Scams: Is Your Financial Institution Helping Cyberthieves?
- Price Matching: What's the Deal?
- Prices: Where Have All the Bargains Gone?
- Sale Prices: At Many Stores, the Sale Price Isn't Special
- Shopping Online: Our Top Tips for Saving Money
- Timeshare Exit Companies Deserve a Time Out
- Travel Insurance
You're Probably Paying Too Much for Auto Insurance
How to cover your ride for a lot less.
Keeping a Roof Overhead
Who's tops on top?
Think you’re getting a deal? 30 tricks sellers use to make you pay up and pay too much
Home Maintenance School
Here's a yearlong plan on how to keep your home from falling apart.
Where to buy eyeglasses and contact lenses.
Drycleaners who can help.
Top shops for furniture facelifts.
Trouble with Timeshare Exit Companies
Timeshare owners are often bombarded with offers to help them get out of unwanted contracts. But we found timeshare exit operations provide little, if any, service for their high fees.
- Should You Hire a Patient Advocate?