Ratings & Advice
The latest ratings and advice for Washington, DC area personal services.
- 30 Tricks Sellers Use to Make You Pay Up
- About Checkbook: Why We're Unique
- Aging In Place
- Airlines that Allow Free Stopovers Let You Design a Vacation with Variety
- Buying Used Stuff
- CarBargains - Checkbook's Shopping Service for New Cars
- Child Care: Tips for Saving
- Closet Organizers
- Clothing Rental
- Clothing Resale Options
- Complaining: How to Get Results
- Computer Backup Options
- Computer Problems: Can You Get Your Data Back After a Device Failure?
- Computers and Devices: How to Keep Yours Safe from Cyberattacks
- Consumers' Notebook
- Credit Cards Provide Strong Protections for Consumers
- Credit Cards: Selecting the Best
- Cruises: How to Get the Best Deal
- Dealing with Your Digital Clutter
- Decluttering Strategies
- DNA Ancestry Services
- Elder Villages
- Email Addresses for Temporary Use
- Emergencies: Many 911 Centers Now Accept Texts
- eRead for Free
- Extended Product Warranties: Should You Buy Them?
- Facebook Privacy Settings Checkup
- Free Perks You Didn't Know You Have
- Getting Home Repairs During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Getting Rid of Your Unwanted Stuff
- Grilling Safety
- Grocery Delivery
- Happy Returns and Gift Card Tips
- Help at Home for Seniors
- Hotel Deals
- Hotels Gouge Guests With Absurd Resort Fees
- Kids' Activity-Kit Services
- LeaseWise - Checkbook's Shopping Service for Leasing New Cars
- Medical Alert Devices
- Nannies: Hiring Tips
- Parking: Finding the Best Rates
- Passwords: How to Choose Safe Ones
- Payment Apps: Avoiding Trouble and Scams
- Price Matching: What's the Deal?
- Rental Car Insurance: Should You Buy It?
- Sale Prices: At Many Stores, the Sale Price Isn't Special
- Self Storage Facilities
- Shopping Online: Our Top Tips for Saving Money
- Smartphone Photos Apps and Tools
- Social Media Headshots: Do's and Don'ts
- Stop Unwanted Calls, Mail, and More
- Tickets: Saving on Seats for Shows and Sports
- Timeshare Exit Companies Deserve a Time Out
- Tipping Tips
- Travel Insurance
- Travel Websites Mislead by Falsely Declaring Few Rooms Remain
- Travel: Health and Safety Info for International Trips
- Travel: Help Finding Cheap Flights
- Travel: Hidden Fees Can Make Vacation Rentals a Rip Off
- Water-Saving Tips
- Wine Prices
You're Probably Paying Too Much for Auto Insurance
How to cover your ride for a lot less.
Keeping a Roof Overhead
Who's tops on top?
Think you’re getting a deal? 30 tricks sellers use to make you pay up and pay too much
Home Maintenance School
Here's a yearlong plan on how to keep your home from falling apart.
Where to buy eyeglasses and contact lenses.
Drycleaners who can help.
Top shops for furniture facelifts.
Trouble with Timeshare Exit Companies
Timeshare owners are often bombarded with offers to help them get out of unwanted contracts. But we found timeshare exit operations provide little, if any, service for their high fees.
- Should You Hire a Patient Advocate?