Ratings & Advice
The latest ratings and advice for Washington, DC area personal services.
- 30 Tricks Sellers Use to Make You Pay Up
- 60 Travel Booking Tips
- 65 Things You (Probably) Shouldn't Pay For
- About Checkbook: Why We're Unique
- Aging In Place
- Airlines that Allow Free Stopovers Let You Design a Vacation with Variety
- Buying Used Stuff
- CarBargains - Checkbook's Shopping Service for New Cars
- Cell Phone Services
- Child Care: Tips for Saving
- Closet Organizers
- Clothing Rental
- Clothing Resale Options
- Complaining: How to Get Results
- Computer Backup Options
- Computer Problems: Can You Get Your Data Back After a Device Failure?
- Computers & Devices: How to Keep Yours Safe
- Consumers' Notebook
- Credit Cards Provide Strong Protections for Consumers
- Credit Cards: Selecting the Best
- Cruises: How to Get the Best Deal
- Dealing with Your Digital Clutter
- Decluttering Strategies
- Defective Products: Strategies to Get a Refund or Replacement
- DNA Ancestry Services
- Elder Villages
- Email Addresses for Temporary Use
- Emergencies: Many 911 Centers Now Accept Texts
- eRead for Free
- Extended Product Warranties: Should You Buy Them?
- Facebook Privacy Settings Checkup
- Free Perks You Didn't Know You Have
- Getting Home Repairs During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- Getting Rid of Your Unwanted Stuff
- Grilling Safety
- Grocery Delivery
- Happy Returns and Gift Card Tips
- Help at Home for Seniors
- Hotel Deals
- Hotels Gouge Guests With Absurd Resort Fees
- Identity and Cyber Theft: How to Protect Yourself
- Kids' Activity-Kit Services
- LeaseWise - Checkbook's Shopping Service for Leasing New Cars
- Medical Alert Devices
- Nannies: Hiring Tips
- Online Privacy: How to Guard Yours
- Parking: Finding the Best Rates
- Passwords: How to Choose Safe Ones
- Payment Apps: Avoiding Trouble and Scams
- Price Matching: What's the Deal?
- Recycling Electronics
- Rental Car Insurance: Should You Buy It?
- Restaurants Pay Steep Commissions and Fees to Order-and-Delivery Services
- Right-to-Repair Fight
- Sale Prices: At Many Stores, the Sale Price Isn't Special
- Self Storage Facilities
- Shopping Online: Our Top Tips for Saving Money
- Smartphone Photos Apps and Tools
- Social Media Headshots: Do's and Don'ts
- Stop Unwanted Calls, Mail, and More
- Tickets: Saving on Seats for Shows and Sports
- Timeshare Exit Companies Deserve a Time Out
- Tipping Tips
- Travel Insurance
- Travel Websites Mislead by Falsely Declaring Few Rooms Remain
- Travel: Health and Safety Info for International Trips
- Travel: Help Finding Cheap Flights
- Vacation Home Rentals
- Vehicle Service Contracts
- Water-Saving Tips
- Wine Prices
A Message from Our Founding President
After more than 45 wonderful years, I am retiring as president of Consumers’ Checkbook. I want to thank you for your support and for helping to create a marketplace that works for all.
Looking for a Top Doc?
Use our ratings to find the best primary care doctors, specialists, and surgeons.
Top Travel Booking Tips
60 strategies for finding the best deals and avoiding trouble.
Auto Body Shops
Accidents happen. Here’s how to get a bang-up repair job.
Auto Glass Repair and Replacement
How to deal with a distorted vehicular view.
Aging in Place
Tips on making your abode accessible, and resources for getting seniors help at home and beyond.
Doggone good boarding options for when Rover needs to sleep over.
Managing Your Mess
Can a personal organizer help you clean up your act?
Are ‘Certified’ Used Cars Worth Bigger Price Tags?
Dealers promise rigorously inspected rides and peace-of-mind warranties, but we found some consumers get rebuilt wrecks and even a former crash-test vehicle.
Getting help from a pro for planning where to go.
Window Treatment Stores
Made in the shade: Get a good deal and good advice on window treatments.
Buying Cabinets and Countertops
How to get the kitchen you crave for the least amount of hassle and money.
Solving the Mystery of Medical Costs
New laws should help consumers find out what they’ll pay, but many available tools are still works in progress.