Ratings & Advice
The latest ratings and advice for Washington, DC area stores.
- 30 Tricks Sellers Use to Make You Pay Up
- 65 Things You (Probably) Shouldn't Pay For
- About Checkbook: Why We're Unique
- Buy Now, Pay Later Spending Traps
- Buying Used Stuff
- Car Buying Strategies
- CarBargains - Checkbook's Shopping Service for New Cars
- Cashback Shopping Portals
- Cell Phone Services
- Closet Organizers
- Clothing Rental
- Clothing Resale Options
- Complaining: How to Get Results
- Consumers' Notebook
- Credit Cards Provide Strong Protections for Consumers
- Defective Products: Strategies to Get a Refund or Replacement
- Diamonds Shopping Guide
- Diaper Prices
- eRead for Free
- Extended Product Warranties: Should You Buy Them?
- Free Perks You Didn't Know You Have
- Happy Returns and Gift Card Tips
- Identity and Cyber Theft: How to Protect Yourself
- Locally Grown Food Sources
- Over-the-Counter Drug Prices
- Pet Food Prices
- Price Matching: What's the Deal?
- Prices: Where Have All the Bargains Gone?
- Product Recall Information
- Recycling Electronics
- Right-to-Repair Fight
- Sale Prices: At Many Stores, the Sale Price Isn't Special
- Shopping Online: Our Top Tips for Saving Money
- Wallpaper Help
- Wine Prices
A Message from Our Founding President
After more than 45 wonderful years, I am retiring as president of Consumers’ Checkbook. I want to thank you for your support and for helping to create a marketplace that works for all.
Looking for a Top Doc?
Use our ratings to find the best primary care doctors, specialists, and surgeons.
Top Travel Booking Tips
60 strategies for finding the best deals and avoiding trouble.
Auto Body Shops
Accidents happen. Here’s how to get a bang-up repair job.
Auto Glass Repair and Replacement
How to deal with a distorted vehicular view.
Aging in Place
Tips on making your abode accessible, and resources for getting seniors help at home and beyond.
Doggone good boarding options for when Rover needs to sleep over.
Managing Your Mess
Can a personal organizer help you clean up your act?
Are ‘Certified’ Used Cars Worth Bigger Price Tags?
Dealers promise rigorously inspected rides and peace-of-mind warranties, but we found some consumers get rebuilt wrecks and even a former crash-test vehicle.
Getting help from a pro for planning where to go.
Window Treatment Stores
Made in the shade: Get a good deal and good advice on window treatments.
Buying Cabinets and Countertops
How to get the kitchen you crave for the least amount of hassle and money.
Solving the Mystery of Medical Costs
New laws should help consumers find out what they’ll pay, but many available tools are still works in progress.