Symptoms of Hearing Loss
Last updated May 2017
Hearing loss is extremely common—about 10 percent of Americans have some hearing loss, and the figure is over 30 percent for people over age 65. It can be a normal part of the aging process and, for many, an inevitable result of living in a noisy society.
If you answer “yes” to some of these questions, it’s time to get your hearing checked.
- Do I often ask people to repeat themselves? Do people often seem to be mumbling?
- Do I often feel tired or stressed during conversations?
- Do I often misunderstand conversations? Do I not get jokes because I miss too much of the story?
- Do I turn up the volume on TVs so high that others complain?
- Do I have trouble understanding speech in noisy places?
- Do I find that when I look at people I can more easily understand what they are saying?