Ratings & Advice
The latest ratings and advice for Boston area financial services.
- 30 Tricks Sellers Use to Make You Pay Up
- 65 Things You (Probably) Shouldn't Pay For
- About Checkbook: Why We're Unique
- Budgeting Websites
- Buy Now, Pay Later Spending Traps
- Buying Used Stuff
- Car Buying Strategies
- CarBargains - Checkbook's Shopping Service for New Cars
- Cashback Shopping Portals
- Complaining: How to Get Results
- Consumers' Notebook
- Credit Cards Provide Strong Protections for Consumers
- Credit Cards: Selecting the Best
- Credit Score Boost Offered by Experian Likely Not Useful
- Dealing with Your Digital Clutter
- Estate Planning Tasks & Tips
- Extended Product Warranties: Should You Buy Them?
- Financial Documents: Create a Paper Trail for Your Heirs
- Free Perks You Didn't Know You Have
- Guide to Health Plans for Federal Employees & Annuitants
- Happy Returns and Gift Card Tips
- Home Warranties
- Homeowners Insurance
- Identity and Cyber Theft: How to Protect Yourself
- Identity Theft: Are Your Investment and Retirement Accounts Protected?
- LeaseWise - Checkbook's Shopping Service for Leasing New Cars
- Life Insurance
- Online Privacy: How to Guard Yours
- Parking: Finding the Best Rates
- Passwords: How to Choose Safe Ones
- Payment Apps: Avoiding Trouble and Scams
- Pet Insurance
- Phishing Scams: Is Your Financial Institution Helping Cyberthieves?
- Price Matching: What's the Deal?
- Prices: Where Have All the Bargains Gone?
- Sale Prices: At Many Stores, the Sale Price Isn't Special
- Savings Apps
- Shopping Online: Our Top Tips for Saving Money
- Stop Unwanted Calls, Mail, and More
- Timeshare Exit Companies Deserve a Time Out
- Travel Insurance
- Vehicle Service Contracts
- Water & Sewer Line Warranties
- Wills and Living Wills: Help with Preparing Yours
A Message from Our Founding President
After more than 45 wonderful years, I am retiring as president of Consumers’ Checkbook. I want to thank you for your support and for helping to create a marketplace that works for all.
Looking for a Top Doc?
Use our ratings to find the best primary care doctors, specialists, and surgeons.
Top Travel Booking Tips
60 strategies for finding the best deals and avoiding trouble.
Auto Body Shops
Accidents happen. Here’s how to get a bang-up repair job.
Auto Glass Repair and Replacement
How to deal with a distorted vehicular view.
Aging in Place
Tips on making your abode accessible, and resources for getting seniors help at home and beyond.
Doggone good boarding options for when Rover needs to sleep over.
Managing Your Mess
Can a personal organizer help you clean up your act?
Are ‘Certified’ Used Cars Worth Bigger Price Tags?
Dealers promise rigorously inspected rides and peace-of-mind warranties, but we found some consumers get rebuilt wrecks and even a former crash-test vehicle.
Getting help from a pro for planning where to go.
Window Treatment Stores
Made in the shade: Get a good deal and good advice on window treatments.
Buying Cabinets and Countertops
How to get the kitchen you crave for the least amount of hassle and money.
Solving the Mystery of Medical Costs
New laws should help consumers find out what they’ll pay, but many available tools are still works in progress.