You Won't Find Anything Else Like Checkbook
- Nonprofit and independent
- Takes no advertising or referral fees
- Ratings and reviews by surveyed Consumers' Checkbook and Consumer Reports local subscribers
- Undercover price comparisons
- Complaint counts from local consumer agencies and attorney general offices
- Advice to help you get the best service and value
Subscribe and see 22 Twin Cities area appraisersSubscribe »
or Sign In
Insurance companies often promote policy features to make their plans seem superior to their competitors’. But most sell roughly the same coverage. Here's a rundown of what’s covered, what isn’t, and what’s optional.
Because most burglars enter homes by simply opening unlocked doors or windows—or pushing and kicking locked ones until they open—do what you can to improve your home's physical barriers.
Need to upgrade or add locks? You’ll need a good locksmith. Our ratings will steer you to area locksmith operations that provide excellent advice and solid workmanship at a reasonable price.
Taking basic steps to secure the perimeter of your home will be more effective at preventing intrusion than installing a burglar alarm and cameras. Start by making sure all your home’s exterior doors have good locks—and remain diligent about using them.
The four Cs—cut, carat, color, and clarity—help determine a stone’s price. Pay attention to these guidelines, but don’t assume better grades are always worth higher price tags. You can spend a lot more money for a higher-grade stone when a lower-grade one will do.