How to Make Shoes Last
Last updated April 2020
You can make your shoes last longer and minimize trips to the repair shop by doing the following—
- Give them a rest; don’t wear the same pair of shoes every day. They will benefit if they have time for perspiration and other moisture to dry out completely.
- Store shoes in a dry area where they can get fresh air.
- Keep shoes on shoe trees.
- After each wearing, clean shoes with a soft, dry cloth.
- If shoes get very wet, stuff them with newspaper and let them dry slowly.
- Keep leather shoes lubricated and protected by polishing them regularly, using a polish with a high wax content. Most liquid polishes contain little or no wax, and may cause shoes to dry out.