What to Expect and How to Prepare for Acupuncture Treatment
Last updated June 2021
Some tips to help you know what to expect and to get the most out of your session:
- Turn off your phone before you enter the office.
- Wear loose clothing that allows easy access to acupuncture points.
- The initial exam will likely include a thorough examination of your tongue and pulse for diagnostic purposes.
- Because the needles are quite thin, you probably won’t even feel them after insertion or, at most, you’ll detect a quick pin prick.
- Eat something a couple hours before your session. Acupuncture can leave you feeling woozy or depleted if you start with an empty stomach.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine before your session.
- Schedule your appointment so that you can have some down time after your treatment, as you may feel tired or spacey. You may even doze off during your session.