What to Expect and How to Prepare for Acupuncture Treatment
Last updated in November 2017
A few tips to help you know what to expect and to get the most out of your session:
- Turn off your phone before you enter the office.
- Wear loose clothing that allows easy access to acupuncture points.
- The initial exam will likely include a thorough examination of your tongue and pulse for diagnostic purposes.
- Because the needles are quite thin, you probably won’t even feel them after insertion or, at most, you’ll detect a quick pin prick.
- Eat something a couple hours before your session. Acupuncture can leave you feeling woozy or depleted if you start with an empty stomach.
- Skip drinking alcohol and avoid caffeine before your session.
- Schedule your appointment so that you can have some down time after your treatment, as you may feel tired or spacey. You may even fall asleep during your session.