Travel & Leisure
Ratings & Advice
The latest ratings and advice for Puget Sound area travel & leisure.
- 65 Things You (Probably) Shouldn't Pay For
- About Checkbook: Why We're Unique
- Airlines that Allow Free Stopovers Let You Design a Vacation with Variety
- Airport Parking Hack
- Buy Now, Pay Later Spending Traps
- Cell Phone Services
- Complaining: How to Get Results
- Credit Cards Provide Strong Protections for Consumers
- Cruises: How to Get the Best Deal
- DNA Ancestry Services
- eRead for Free
- Facebook Privacy Settings Checkup
- Free Perks You Didn't Know You Have
- Hotel Deals
- Hotels Gouge Guests With Absurd Resort Fees
- Kids' Activity-Kit Services
- Parking: Finding the Best Rates
- Rental Car Insurance: Should You Buy It?
- Restaurants Pay Steep Commissions and Fees to Order-and-Delivery Services
- Smartphone Photos Apps and Tools
- Social Media Headshots: Do's and Don'ts
- Tickets: Saving on Seats for Shows and Sports
- Timeshare Exit Companies Deserve a Time Out
- Travel Insurance
- Travel Websites Mislead by Falsely Declaring Few Rooms Remain
- Travel: Health and Safety Info for International Trips
- Travel: Help Finding Cheap Flights
- Vacation Home Rentals
A Message from Our Founding President
After more than 45 wonderful years, I am retiring as president of Consumers’ Checkbook. I want to thank you for your support and for helping to create a marketplace that works for all.
Dentists to Smile About
If you’re in the market for a new dentist, our ratings will help you find a top tooth doc.
Best Vet Bets
Ratings of area practices for quality and price to keep your furry friends’ tails wagging—and your finances from sagging.
Read Before Remodeling
How to hire and work with a contractor to score a hit home makeover.
Solar Energy Systems
Here’s a rundown of options, how to pay for your project, how to find an installer, and energy savings you can expect.
These ratings may shock you!
Made in the Shade
Use our ratings of local tree care services to find a great branch manager.
The Fight for Your Right to Repair
Manufacturers of vehicles, electronics, appliances, and more are making it tough for independent shops and DIYers to make repairs.
Help with Planning a Funeral
This article reviews the many choices you have when a loved one dies, plus ratings of funeral homes and advice on how to deal with one.
A Smart Guide to Estate Planning
Here are some basic dos and definite don’ts that will save you hassles and money—and avoid common mistakes.
Ready to rock? Here’s how to get a sparkling deal.
Driving the Best Tire Bargain
If it’s time to replace your treads, we’ve got the score on how to buy the best replacements at the lowest cost, including price comparisons of suppliers.