Ratings & Advice
The latest ratings and advice for Puget Sound area financial services.
- 30 Tricks Sellers Use to Make You Pay Up
- 50 Things You (Probably) Shouldn’t Pay For
- About Checkbook: Why We're Unique
- Budgeting Websites
- Buying Used Stuff
- Car Buying Strategies
- CarBargains - Checkbook's Shopping Service for New Cars
- Cashback Shopping Portals
- Complaining: How to Get Results
- Consumers' Notebook
- Credit Cards Provide Strong Protections for Consumers
- Credit Cards: Selecting the Best
- Credit Score Boost Offered by Experian Likely Not Useful
- Dealing with Your Digital Clutter
- Estate Planning Tasks & Tips
- Extended Product Warranties: Should You Buy Them?
- Extended Warranties for New Cars: Get the Best Deal
- Financial Documents: Why to Keep a Paper Trail
- Free Perks You Didn't Know You Have
- Guide to Health Plans for Federal Employees & Annuitants
- Happy Returns and Gift Card Tips
- Home Warranties
- Homeowners Insurance
- Identity and Cyber Theft: How to Protect Yourself
- Identity Theft: Are Your Investment and Retirement Accounts Protected?
- LeaseWise - Checkbook's Shopping Service for Leasing New Cars
- Parking: Finding the Best Rates
- Passwords: How to Choose Safe Ones
- Payment Apps: Avoiding Trouble and Scams
- Pet Insurance
- Phishing Scams: Is Your Financial Institution Helping Cyberthieves?
- Price Matching: What's the Deal?
- Prices: Where Have All the Bargains Gone?
- Sale Prices: At Many Stores, the Sale Price Isn't Special
- Savings Apps
- Shopping Online: Our Top Tips for Saving Money
- Stop Unwanted Calls, Mail, and More
- Timeshare Exit Companies Deserve a Time Out
- Travel Insurance
- Water & Sewer Line Warranties
How to Save Energy at Home
32 changes that will cut costs and help the planet.
Ratings of local auto repair shops for quality and price.
On the Road Again, Despite Dangerous Defects
Our investigation found used-car dealers often sell vehicles without addressing known life-threatening problems.
Do You Need Coverage for Water and Sewer Line Repairs?
Warranty companies, with help from their public utility partners, pitch nightmare scenarios. But these programs stink.
How to banish household pests.
Surviving the Crash
Ratings of computer repair shops.
How to Protect Your Computers and Devices
15 steps to take to keep your digital devices safe.
Where to Buy Computers and Devices
Top grades for upgrades, plus how major retailers compare on price.
What to Do About Defective Products
Strategies for getting a refund or free replacement if you bought something that broke down too soon.
Why You Should Skip the Extended Warranty
Purchase protection. Service contracts. AppleCare. Whatever retailers call them, these plans are usually bad buys.
Where to shop for the right hearing aid.