Ratings & Advice
The latest ratings and advice for Puget Sound area auto services.
- 30 Tricks Sellers Use to Make You Pay Up
- 65 Things You (Probably) Shouldn't Pay For
- About Checkbook: Why We're Unique
- Automobile Awards
- Car Buying Strategies
- CarBargains - Checkbook's Shopping Service for New Cars
- Complaining: How to Get Results
- Consumers’ Notebook
- Credit Cards Provide Strong Protections for Consumers
- Defective Products: Strategies to Get a Refund or Replacement
- Free Perks You Didn't Know You Have
- LeaseWise - Checkbook's Shopping Service for Leasing New Cars
- Rental Car Insurance: Should You Buy It?
- Right-to-Repair Fight
- Tire Pressure Advice
- Used Cars Often Sold with Dangerous Defects
- Used-Car Certifications Often Not Meaningful
- Vehicle Service Contracts
Ratings of area heating and air-conditioning services so you’ll know who’s cool, who’s hot...and who’s not.
Are Heat Pumps the Future of HVAC?
Improved technology, generous tax credits and rebates, and lower utility bills might have us reconsider how to heat and cool our homes.
Checking Out Area Grocery Stores for Price and Quality
Where can you find the best produce and meat? Which stores offer the lowest prices? How much more will you pay for delivery?
‘Sale’ Prices Are Rarely Real Deals
Our researchers tracked prices at 25 major retailers for 33 weeks and found most advertised discounts are bogus. Stores are increasingly using fake sales to mislead consumers.
Safe at Home
Home security strategies, gadgets, and installers.
Locks and Locksmiths
Battening down your hatches and latches.
Don’t Hire Duct Cleaning Companies
Ignore deceptive ads and claims; you likely don’t need their services.
Do it yourself but don’t go it alone.
Can a Chiropractor Really Cure Your Back Pain?
Before taking a crack at chiropractic, talk to your doctor and try other treatment options.
Finding and installing closet systems.
Restoring pride in your ride.
Ready to Hit the Gym Again?
How COVID changed the fitness industry, possibly forever.
We aren't loyal to businesses, we're loyal to you.
Easily find ratings, reviews, and advice on local service providers.
Checkbook is nonprofit, independent, and provides unbiased information.
We don't run ads or take referral fees from business that we rate.