You Won't Find Anything Else Like Checkbook
- Nonprofit and independent
- Takes no advertising or referral fees
- Ratings and reviews by surveyed Consumers' Checkbook and Consumer Reports local subscribers
- Undercover price comparisons
- Complaint counts from local consumer agencies and attorney general offices
- Advice to help you get the best service and value
Subscribe and see 258 Washington, DC area veterinariansSubscribe »
or Sign In
As with choosing a doctor for a human, while you can’t assess all aspects of a veterinarian’s technical skills and expertise, you can judge many factors central to good medical care for your pet.
Because many health problems are subtle and easily overlooked, you should regularly evaluate your pet’s general health with a nose-to-tail inspection.
To assess the true value of pet insurance, we conducted an in-depth cost/benefit analysis of 12 plans. Visit our "Pet Insurance" section for those results.
Instead of boarding at kennels, many travelers take their pets along for the ride, leave them with friends or family, or hire professional sitters. Each of these options comes with pros and cons.
If you can’t take your furry best friend on vacation with you, you may have to book him or her into a kennel. We provide ratings of local spots, plus advice and ideas on how to make sure you and your pet both have a good experience.
For your pet’s stay to go well, it’s not enough to select a kennel carefully; you also have to prepare your pet properly and then care for it properly after its stay.